Lately, I was describing my experience of moving in with the boyfriend unit to a colleague. In my spiel, I got to this point where I couldn’t quite find the word for what was happening. To which she contributed, “you’re life-ing.”
What a wonderful way to put it. That’s exactly what’s happening. We’re life-ing. And here are the telltale signs.
- You start getting new furniture and appliances after living together for, like, 5 seconds.
- You talk about the furniture and appliances that you can’t get right now, but plan to in the future.
- You also talk about the bigger place you’re going to get after living together for, like, 1 day.
- You’d rather cuddle up to TV on a Friday night than go out with your friends.
- You start tag-teaming things like housework, groceries and naps.
- Watch for more high-fives.
Incidentally, here’s how to know for sure you’ve just moved in with a boy.
- Your TV gets bigger, almost immediately.
- If you didn’t have cable TV, you get it. If you had cable TV, you get a satellite dish.
- Every plug in the wall is attached to a power bar, and the mass of electrical wires lining the floor quadruples.
- There’s meat in the fridge. Always.
- You try to work bottle caps into your interior design concept.
This is the life.